Services | Coaching
Partners for Educational Leadership view coaching as a core skill for anyone with responsibility for the professional development of educators—leaders as well as coaches. Our coaching model focuses on:
- Listening and asking questions that prompt thinking, problem-solving and reflection;
- Helping teachers and leaders think through problems of practice and develop strategy;
- Providing feedback appropriate to the developmental stage of the client;
- Challenging assumptions and opening up possibilities;
- Gathering data and distilling lessons learned.
We do not see coaching as a narrowly defined, highly prescribed activity and encourage the use of coaching conversations outside formal coaching relationships.
We offer these coaching-related services
- A three-day coach-training and development course, working with a tested and successful coaching model that focuses on the fundamental skills of coaching, listening, questioning, feedback, collaboration and problem solving;
- Support for districts that wish to incorporate coaching into their strategic plan, to help them think through how coaching will support capacity-building, will be implemented, and will be measured.
We also offer:
The Coaching Institute, a powerful learning experience that provides prospective coaches with everything they need to begin coaching. It is a three-day workshop (or the equivalent), in person or virtually, that aims to provide educators of all types ( with the knowledge and skills to be able to support the thinking and planning of others.
The workshop addresses these areas:
- Ensuring that coaching supports equity, instructional practice, and leadership;
- Listening brilliantly;
- Asking questions that shift thinking:
- Getting to grips with the nuances of feedback;
- Supporting problem-solving, decision-making, and self-regulation;
- Harnessing coaching to support strategy design, implementation, and continuous improvement.
The workshop promotes coaching as a practice, and there are ample opportunities to role play, give and receive feedback, and self-assess (by recording, listening to, and analyzing one’s own coaching).
The Coaching Power Hour, a virtual community of practice for coaches to learn about the latest research, to glean hot tips from experts, and to practice coaching with each other. It meets monthly to connect, share brief ideas related to coaching, and then spend practice coaching through coaching each other. Membership in Power Hour is included in the registration fee for our coaching workshops, or anyone is welcome to join separately.